Thursday, June 3, 2010

Rain, Rain, Go Away

Ah... the South Florida summers!
Mind-blowingly hot and humid during the day, followed by dangerous thunderstorms around 3:00, repeat every day.
Normally I don't mind the weather.  Since I have been promoted to #1 desk jockey (That's Mrs. Desk Jockey to you!), my ability to get the job done has nothing to do with the weather.  I'm not out on a boat counting fish, nor am I walking the beach looking for sea turtle nests (ahh, the good old days); I just sit behind my desk and watch the clouds roll in.  I'm happy for the rain - it waters my plants so I don't have to.
Until now...
Now I have a goal:
1-mile swim, 25-mile bike ride, 6.1-mile run ALL ON THE SAME DAY! 
I can't train when the weather doesn't cooperate.
You have read about my issues on the bike (total spaz alert!). 
Pools are closed in the rain. 
I can run in the rain (but it makes my shoes all squishy - wah!). 
So... here I sit, listening to the thunder, watching my plants grow, and wondering what to have for dinner. 
I was supposed to go for a bike ride with the Team, but we don't ride in the rain - too unsafe.  I actually did swim in the rain yesterday - guess what?  Once you're in the water, you don't notice the rain!  (I know, shocking news, isn't it?)  I only got about 20 minutes in before the lifeguards allegedly heard thunder and closed the pool.  That's ok, the 20 minutes nearly did me in!
It felt good, though.
Good to train.
Good to get out there.
And here's why... (Thanks to my coach, Lisa Mohler for this inspiration):
Because being able to train for an endurance event is a BLESSING.  Our honored patients only WISH they could go for a bike, swim, or run. While we are looking for a reason to skip training, they are fighting for their lives.  So SUCK IT UP and STOP MAKING EXCUSES!!

To those of you who have made a contribution to my cause, Thank you from the bottom of my heart.  Your faith in me is what keeps me going. 
Please share this blog and the link to my fundraising page with everyone you know!
Thanks,
Leanne

No comments:

Post a Comment