Monday, April 25, 2011

Almost There!

I can see the light at the end of the tunnel, folks.
Pray that it isn't a train.
I made it through scary events number two (fundraiser) and three (Easter).
Ok, they weren't really scary but just stress inducing.
The fundraiser was, in a word, awesome!  I have my amazing family and teammates to thank for that, because I was as near a total meltdown as I have ever been that night. 
Normally I like to think that I am quite calm; it takes a LOT to ruffle my feathers.  I take great pride in the fact that I'm not an over reactor.  But you know what they say about pride...  I think that if you asked me my name in the hour before the event, I would have been hard pressed to think of it, let alone spell it correctly.  My wonderful cousin took the day off of work to help me out.  She and a teammate of mine set up all the food (chafing dishes of hot dogs and wings, plates, cups, ice, waters, chips, sandwiches..) and then re-arranged everything when the wind started blowing the sterno out!  All while I stood there staring into space, drooling, and forgetting what I was supposed to be doing next.  I honestly would not have managed without them!
But... I made it through!
We had fun!
We ate chocolate fondue!
AND... raised nearly $700 when all was said and done.
I was honestly hoping for more.  So many people put in so much effort for this event to come together.  I was hoping for $1200, but I'll take $700 - it is more than I had on Wednesday!
The bottom line is that we all had a great time, right?
I have to give a few major should outs to my amazing donors.
First of all, Thirs-tea corporation provided all the beverages for the event.  Not only that, but the president of the company helped me set up, clean up, and he provided the flyers for the event at no charge.  What a great guy that Ray Welch is, easy on the eyes, too.
Second, the owner of Boca Raton Melting Pot was there himself, serving chocolate fondue to all of my guests.  Yes, you read that right - delicious melted chocolate, served over your choice of fresh strawberries, pound cake, marshmallows, brownies, or rice crispy treats.  Oh, joy!  Not only that, but he provided an amazing gift basket for a raffle prize. 
Finally, Alise from Putt'n Around Delray Beach, the venue for the event, was so amazing.  Not only did she let us have the run of the place (I'm not sure their landscaping will ever be the same), but she gave me a donation back based on the number of attendees at the event, AND provided a four-pack of mini golf as a raffle prize!
My amazing, inspiring teammates were there in force to assist me - so much purple in one place - it was great!  I am humbled by their support, and forever touched by their kindness.

Saturday morning was another one of those long bike rides - you know, all this training is getting in the way of the fundraising and socializing (ha!). 
We rode sixty miles on Saturday.
Yes, 60.
On bikes.
All at once.
(Ok, we had two pit stops for food and potty breaks)
We rode our bikes from Boynton Beach to Ft. Lauderdale and back.
Seriously?
When we reached the turn around point, I looked around and realized just how far I have come.  I also realized how far away from home I was, and how I was never going to make it home by 11:00 AM, like I told my family.  One of my teammates looked at me, and said "We just freaking rode our bikes to Ft. Lauderdale - I don't even like driving this far." 
I cracked up laughing.
Well, it was that, or cry.
What else could I do? Call a taxi?
I forgot to mention the wind.  Oh, it was windy. Like, blow you off your bike in a crosswind windy.
But, I survived (barely).  I realized that I am still having anxiety issues on the bike - probably from the crash.  I'm going to need to get over it (or take a Xanax before every ride).  I'm not sure I have time for hypnosis therapy before June 5th.  Where would I squeeze it in?

Finally it was Easter Sunday.
He is Risen.
As was a certain six year old at 5:30AM.
"Mommy?" she presses her nose against my face in the pre-dawn darkness.
Forcing one eyeball open, "Yes?"
"I think I hear the Easter bunny."
Listening hard I reply, "I think it's just the rain."
"Oh, ok. Yeah, it's rain. Can I see if the Easter Bunny came?"
"Um, sweetie, it's a little early."
"Can I get in bed with you, then?"
"Um, sure," rolling over to make some room.
"No. I want to be in the middle."
sigh
We arose when the sun came up, and sure enough, the Easter Bunny came to our house.  Candy, toys, and treats for all.  Luckily he also remembered to get the coffee pot ready the night before.
That's one smart bunny.

No comments:

Post a Comment