Tuesday, July 13, 2010

July, part Two

Well, how about that? I needed some time to focus on things at home, and I got it.  Not exactly the way I planned, though.
Today I am stuck (yes, stuck) at home with a child so desperate to get out of the petting zoo at camp today that first she made herself sick to her stomach (literally), and then had leg cramps so bad she lay on the floor crying for at least 30 minutes until I finally caved.  Really? Fear of mobile petting zoos - I wonder what the clinical diagnosis of that is?
And, no, it has nothing to do with Yoda.  Keep reading for the Jedi reference.
I am fortunate to be able to get a lot of work done from home.  I am very connected to my office, so I have been able to call in to two different meetings, keep up with my e-mail, and read and edit a report.  I have been able to do this in silence because when one is home sick from camp or school, the one hour of TV allotment runs out very quickly.  Isabella has been very busy doing puzzles, coloring, and working in her reading workbooks.  I guess on some level that is better than a mobile petting zoo?
Anyway... Fundrasing for my race just keeps getting better.  I am fortunate to work in a department with approximately 130 others.  We basically had a captive audience for the silent auction, bake sale, pizza party, and tomorrow is a pancake breakfast.  Two of my co-workers are also racing for Team in Training, so we have been splitting the profits.  As of today, I am at 68% of my fundraising goal.  I have two months to go before my race.  I'm feeling pretty good!
This weekend's workout was tough, but good.  We had a substitute coach; and it was certainly different to go from one coaching style to another.  I'm sure that he is a very good coach, but I am looking forward to getting Lisa back! 
Next week we are racing in a mock triathlon at Lake Worth Beach.  This will be the first time we will be able to put all three disciplines together and actually swim, bike, and run on the same day!  I am really looking forward to this.  It will be nice to put everything together without the pressures of an actual race.
I am most excited about trying out my new mad skills on my bike.  After weeks of leg cramps and sore feet, I have finally accepted my fate and bought bike shoes (gasp!).  Yes, the scary (and ugly) shoes that attach directly to your pedals, making you one with the bike.  For some reason, these are called clip-less pedals.  That doesn't really make sense, because the shoes attach to the pedal by clipping in.  Can anyone explain this to me?  It doesn't matter what they're called, because I call them the scary shoes.  But I am happy to report that my first ride went without incident.  I did not fall, mostly because I was determined not to - I'm pretty sure I had to use the Force at least once to stay upright.  I have watched many of my teammates fall, usually while at a stop sign.  The only thing they hurt was their pride; but of course the new coach had to scare us all with tales of broken elbows and shattered hips, all from falling at a stop sign (gee, thanks). 
One amazing story from this weekend involves one of my teammates.  She has been struggling, but determined, on the bike and I finally found out why.  SHE JUST LEARNED TO RIDE. 
Seriously. 
In March. 
Now I feel like a total tool for calling myself names, and complaining about feeling unsteady on my bike.  I joke around, but I have known how to ride a bike since I was 6 (not that I was any good).  My learning curve was a tiny wiggle compared to hers, and she will not give up.
Well, neither will I. 
Do or do not... there is no try.
I'll check in after Saturday's "Mock" race, hopefully.

No comments:

Post a Comment